A.E.Jones and Co is one of the few Arts and Crafts silversmiths’ companies to survive until the end of the 20th Century, as the firm was still producing silver up to 1973. The longevity of the A.E.J name can perhaps be attributed to the versatility of Albert Edward Jones himself, with his constantly chameleon-like changes in style.
Albert Edward Jones was born in 1879 and died in 1954. He attended the Birmingham School of Art and was a Birmingham Guildsman for a short period.
He opened a workshop in 1906 at 13 Windmill Street, Horse Fair, Birmingham where he practised as an Art silversmith. From 1910 Jones’ workshop was at Livery Street and then Pemberton St.
A E Jones collaborated with the owner of Ruskin Pottery, using the pottery as liners for some of his silverwork and also mounted in other examples. His son Kenneth Crisp Jones took over the business in 1958.
A E Jones silver pedestal bowl with Ruskin enamels, Birmingham 1908 – available for sale on the website
A.E.Jones is quoted as having said :
“A piece of silverwork to be really interesting must be endued with a spirit of art’, in 1902.
The distinguishing features of the work of A.E.Jones are the beautiful hand hammering inspired by the Arts and Crafts movement, the use of Celtic symbols and motifs, in addition to floral and foliate motifs. He also used animals and nature in his work, including fables such as the Fox and Grapes to adorn his pieces.
Available for sale on the website, a beautiful silver owl lidded box by A E Jones, Birmingham 1911
In the 1920’s A E Jones enjoyed a period of good business and the order book was filled with orders from companies such as Payne and Son and Connell who retailed Jones’ pieces, among other retailers.
Available for sale on the website, a Connell comport by A E Jones, Birmingham 1937